Monday, February 26, 2007

Current Event Fatigue

I'm this close to not giving a damn.

This close.

It is universally agreed among the rulers of this blog that much of what passes for news, in fact, is not. So, I won't mention how much television time is devoted to the irrelevance of missing coeds, teacher student love-fests, and idiotic celebrities--living or dead. On and on it goes. Stories like these are a frustrating waste of time, but at least they require no emotional investment. Out of sight, out of mind, no impact on my life. The thing that is kicking my ass is getting all worked up over real news--the fight against the Muslim, harmful legislation, illegal immigration, etc, etc--that is far beyond my realm of influence.

Porous borders? Why are you telling me? Write your congressman. He cares.

Global warming nuts want to enact legislation that would virtually cripple our economy, cause the price of many goods and services to escalate, and generally make life more difficult for millions? Half the voters in the country believe the bullshit, talk to them.

What's that you say? Republicans and Democrats alike are too weak and indecisive to close the deal in Iraq? So what?

You worry about it, I'm done.

Yeah, I know, some shit matters. But, so far, giving a damn about what is going on in the world has got me exactly....nowhere.

I think I'll just sit here and care less and less about more and more.

Ahh, that's better.

No comments: